Monday, July 7, 2014

Noteworthy by Sweetwater Quilt (#28)

I really like the fabric collections from Sweetwater and Noteworthy  is no exception.  Like Lucy's Crab Shack, there are lots of swirls, loops, words & labels - all in very pretty colors that harmonize when you put them next to each other.  

This quilt was made using 5 charm packs in  a nine patch design.  I needed just 4 more 'blocks' so I cut white 9" squares and put them in the corners.  The border is 1 yard of coordinating fabric.


The batting is Moda's Kyoto bamboo and I love it. I have only made one other 'traditional' quilt and that used Warm & Natural -  (the rest are minky or flannel).  The bamboo is a little thinner but softer - and it's correct what others say about it having a nice drape.  Pricey at $28 for a twin sized roll from Fabric.com (compared to Warm and Natural at $18.50).
 I did push the envelope and pre-wash/dry the Kyoto batting in my front load washing machine and regular dryer - and the width shrunk about 2.5'.  It also stretched in the length but next time I will pre-measure it before washing to see how much shrink it has - and not go by the package dimensions.
Pieced with Aurifil 50wt sand - quilted with a broken zigzag stitch using a walking foot - with Isacord40 white.  Spray basted with 505 before quilting - and then ironed the layers when they were together to help the spray stick better - great tip. 
Linking up to Go-Go Kim's SEWjo Saturday 

Size: 60" x 75"
July 2014





No comments:

Post a Comment