Saturday, February 14, 2015

Fancy Fox Quilt (#32)

 (Update: Below is my first fox quilt in natural tones, but I made another Fancy Fox Quilt here  in December 2015 using a Retro 30's jelly roll - showing that each quilt has a unique look & feel with different fabrics.)
Elizabeth Hartman's Fancy Fox Quilt pattern was the perfect design for my next "guy quilt' - and it was a great stash buster too. Instructions were clear and chain piecing went quickly.  I did use starch and ironed a lot ... lots of starch makes happy foxes!
Maybe being new to this type of piecing was my problem -  but most of my fox 'faces' measured larger on top and less on the bottom.  Not to worry. 
 I only planned to make 42 fox faces knowing that number was realistic for my time - I added 2.5" pieces of sashing around each fox to fill out the space. This sashing allowed me lots of wiggle room for errors, the blocks were cut to 9.5"x11.5" - the tip of the nose was my center point.
I did make a few cutting mistakes and by the end I was down a couple of fox blocks - so decided to put stars in the four corners using the measurements & instructions from Happy Zombie for her Manzanita Star.  
To make this more 'manly' and rugged I used Mammoth Flannel on the back which is lovely to sew and soft.  All my fabrics had been pre-shrunk since they were leftovers from other projects, the only exception being the Warm & Natural batting which was tumbled in the dryer to remove wrinkles.
Since I don't know how to free motion quilt, my goal was to not mess with the fox face - so the ears are the only area that you can see the zigzag quilting.  I used Aurifil 50wt. Grey Smoke (5004) which was perfect for disappearing into the yarn dyed denim and blending into the plaid backing. I spray based the quilt layers together and the Aurifil thread just glided through beautiful and smooth.
I am partial to the broken zigzag stitch and for this quilt I used a medium width and length.  I tend to zigzag smaller for pretty quilts and juggle between larger widths & lengths for 'man' quilts.


Materials:  
Robert Kaufman's Essex yarn dyed linen in denim
Moda/3 Sisters Winterlude Aged Solids in Black
Riley Blake Shades (or Blenders) in Slate & Granite,
& Orange Fox Trails stars
Moda Funky Monkey sock texture (brown)
Timeless Treasures Sketch (black & white)
White jelly roll 
Aurifil 50wt. grey smoke (#5004)
Size: 59" x 83"
February 2015

4 comments:

  1. LOVE this quilt !!! It is absoluyely beautiful. "Mannish" or not, I would love to have one. I'm very new to quilting but hopefully I will soon be able to attempt something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you so much - if you have any question feel free to email me - and good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the denim background. Never would have thought of that but it is beautiful

    ReplyDelete