Saturday, July 25, 2015

Under The Stars (#40)

Cindy Lammon of Hyacinth Quilt Designs made a beautiful quilt with this pattern and was generous enough to post on her blog the dimensions for the fabric squares and sashing.   She said, "feel free to copy away" and so I did.  
Cindy's blocks are more complex and showcased fussy cut images while I kept these simple since the fabric was too cute to cut!

 Fabric.com always gives you an extra inch in their cuts, so 1 yard of each design & careful cutting  gave me enough blocks to make two quilts.  Extra yardage was needed for the boarder which was cut at 4.5" and after quilting - trimmed to 4" on all sides.
The white Kona sashing is cut 1.5" wide and all fabrics were starched. I did make a layout for this quilt before I started sewing ... mostly so two designs wouldn't be next to each other.  Even when I knew I had laid out the middle row wrong it didn't matter because I couldn't figure out my mistake. It just goes to show that this lovely simple pattern is forgiving as well.  
 To make this feel like a camping quilt to snuggle up in - and give the illusion of wrapping oneself up in the night - the back is ash grey minky and the simple zig zag quilting is done with Aurifil 50wt. light sand (#2000) and grey smoke (#5004).  Quilting down the center of the white sashing from top to bottom & side to side - makes a really nice 4" grid throughout.

Materials:
Under the Stars from Timless Treasures
Kona white
Aurifil 50wt. / light sand / grey smoke
Dimple dot minky / ash grey
Warm & white batting
Cindy Lammon / Hyacinth Quilt Desgins
Size: 59" x 72"
July 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment