Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Starburst Quilt ... Missouri Quilt Co. Style (#94)

I love a simple large scale pattern for novelty fabrics and Starburst from the Missouri Star Quilt Co. is perfect.  While the Starburst tutorial uses layer cakes - I choose to make my half square triangles with fabric yardage and the 6" finished square HST Accuquilt die.
My graphic skills are a little rustic so please ignore the color scheme and focus only on the diagram:  I made my guide with 10 blocks across by 12 rows down. The MSQC tutorial has larger half square triangles, a border and is configured in a square.  This is for a bed so I made the 'pattern' into a rectangle and changed the size of the HST.  It's really a great pattern to alter both in HST size and dimensions.  Making a graph to follow beforehand is very helpful!
I did exactly like Jenny said in the video - working in quadrants which was fun and easy to keep track of.
It's nice to use bold colors. Bright turquoise minky on the back (to match Captain America), and Aurifil 50wt. black thread for the top.  I really wanted those black elongated starbursts to stand out without distraction.
Using a smaller 6" finished half square triangle had some nice benefits.  I could use yardage, not distort the pattern too much when keeping it to 60" wide - and the best bonus of all ... a 'bigger starburst!"  This two tone quilt needed 240 Accuquilt cut HST pieces - 120 black triangles and 120 comic book triangles. 

If you are making your own half square triangles - here is a good tutorial from Jacquelynne Steves and a wonderful chart on what size to cut your squares.  She gives two sizes - one that allows wiggle room and further trimming - love that.  
If you are making this quilt in two colors you need 60 squares in each color.  Using a generous 7.25" square for your half square triangles so you can trim them after sewing - 2.4 yards of each fabric is the math.  I would go a bit more generous and get 3 yards but I always err on more than less.  The extra can always go towards the binding.

Materials:
Marvel Retro Comics Covers fabric
Wintergreen Aged Solids / Moda
Aurifil 50wt. #2600 (Dove) #2692 (black) #1148 (Turquoise)
Warm & White batting
Dimple Dot Minky in Peacock / Hawthorne Threads
Accuquilt Half Square Triangle 6" finished square
Thanks to Missouri Star Quilt Co. for the Starburst tutorial
Thanks to Jacquelynne Steves for the HST tutorial 
Size: 60" x 72"
March 2018

13 comments:

  1. What a stunning quilt!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this!!!!!! I want to make my first quilt using someone else’s pattern besides my own and this is it!!!! Thank you for a beautiful eye catching experience

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you found something to inspire - good luck with your quilt :)

      Delete
  3. This is just beautiful! I want to make this but just a little larger. Could I do that by adding an extra row to the top/bottom & sides?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are two ways to make this quilt bigger. One is to make your HST's a larger size than what I did. The pattern from Missouri Star (link above) uses 10" squares and the video is worth watching to see the pattern emerge using a larger sized 'starburst'. Their quilt is also a square. I made mine a rectangle shape to fit better on a bed and not be too heavy. Hence the reason why it's 10 across by 12 down. Decide what size half square triangle you are making - and use the rough diagram I made above to 'plot' your quilt. The diagram shows 16 units by 16 rows down. I just printed out my rough design on paper (it's in the post above), decided what size HST I was making and covered up the rows on the diagram I didn't need for my final pattern. So for my 6" HST I knew I needed 10 units across for 60" wide. Keep your row numbers "equal" or else you will end up with a lopsided starburst. Email me if you need any math aid and I will gladly help :)

      Delete
  4. VERY NICE WHERE DO I FIND TEMPLATES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a few options: you can make your own half square triangles that finish at 6" x 6". I used the AccuQuilt Half Square Triangle die to make my 6" units ... cut & paste this link: https://www.accuquilt.com/go-half-square-triangle-6-finished-square.html
      Or try the original pattern from Missouri Star Quilt Co which made their HST's from 10" squares. Cut & paste link is here:
      https://www.missouriquiltco.com/land/tutorials/starburst-quilt/index.html

      Delete
  5. Where can I get this pattern tutorial

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pattern is from Missouri Star Quilt Co. and is called Starburst. They made their Starburst quilt with 10" squares, I made mine with smaller half square triangles (6.5" x 6.5"). There is a link to the MSQC video in the blog post above.

      Delete
  6. I need some help. I want to make this for my friend who is my doctor and I also worked with him. His will be black and bulldogs... After all we are Georgians. I dont want a crooked quilt. I will probably use the 10" square. I am not sure how many I need across and down to make it square and not lopsided.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bela - The best thing to do is watch the video tutorial from Missouri Star Quilt Co. called " Make an Easy Starburst Quilt". You can access it from either YouTube or The Missouri Star Co. website. It is a full tutorial on how to make this quilt using 10" squares, or layer cake.

      Delete
  7. I would like to make a king size quilt, can I just make a 8 in sq. And use your same pattern

    ReplyDelete