Friday, December 13, 2019

Quilt as You Go Hexies with Amy Butler

With a ton of things to do before the end of the year I got distracted yet again! I saw the "Quilt as you go Hexagon" tutorial from Missouri Star Quilt Co. (here) and realized that this was my kind of hexie! Paper piecing and little hexies scare me - but this bigger, faster and easy version seemed like a whole lot of fun.

You don't have to buy a template; there are lots of tutorials and videos that show you the same technique using cardboard and different sized units.  I did get the one sold by MSQC on their daily deal and am loving it.
I got a "Scrap Pack" of fabric from Hawthorne Supply Co. in Amy Butler fabric to expand my own Amy stash.   
This may not be the traditional way to do this but here is my process. Cut your larger hexie and then with a pencil trace the image of where the batting and smaller hexie will go.
Position your batting on your pencil lines and stick the batting down with the help of a little glue stick.
Pin the smaller hexie onto the batting.  Put a little glue on the bottom edge of the larger hexie.
Make the first fold and press.  Then dab a little more glue onto the hexie, fold and press with the iron. Apply glue and press one side at a time.
The MSQC tutorial shows Jenny using "Magic Pins" - pins that have a silicone tip that can be ironed and not melt.  I don't have those and figured applique glue would work, which it does just fine.  
Lastly, straight stitch around the unit and that's it. Will experiment in the final joining of all the hexies with a thicker #28 weight Aurifil thread using a zig zag so that stitching shows up even more.  

This is a long term project but it's easy to pick up for a quick sewing fix when one gets tired of bigger projects and you 'just want to sew something!'   So, for good instructions and lots of ideas of what to make with these hexies - check out the MSQC video here.

Materials:
Quilt As You Go Hexagon Template from Missouri Star Quilt Co. 
Amy Butler everything :)
Hawthorne Supply Co.  
Aurifil Thread #50 weight (#2024-white)
Warm & White batting scraps
Roxanne Glue Baste Glue & Collins Fabric Glue Stick
December 2019

7 comments:

  1. I love your use of Amy Butler fabric, and I am excited to see how the hexies come together. It certainly helps seeing the close up photos of how they finish. I watched the MSQC video and remember the daily deal and am kicking myself for not jumping on board!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your nice comments Jean - I am a big fan of do-it-yourself, but for cutting and precision the plastic template makes it easier. But give it a whirl with a cardboard one you can make, cut with scissors (for safety) and just make a few to have some fun. Even without the plastic template you can make a few a day like I am and just enjoy it. Love to see a picture if you do :)

      Delete
  2. So clever! I would love to see a photo of this finished quilt. Will you be updating this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too got the MSQC template deal and made a lap quilt. I did the entire thing sewing by machine and a friend did it my hand sewing. I like hers better because you don’t see the stitching and plan to make another by hand. I found zigzagging them together by machine difficult because my hexie sides were not perfect. Can’t wait to make it again though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ann - I don't these type of hexies are for me but I give you high marks for finishing up any hexie quilt! I did recently make a hexie style quilt with a plastic template and just regular machine stitching. That will be my next blog post - and it was fun and gave me my hexie fix. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very Cool. I watched the MSQC Hexie tutorial, too. Got the template and started a Christmas quilt. You have shown me a better way to sandwich it together by marking the middle with a pencil and using glue. I Love it!

    ReplyDelete