Saturday, February 15, 2020

Bee Joyful Quilt All Finished (Part Two)

It's all finished and it's Bee-U-tiful!   Part One of how this quilt was made HERE.
 A 3" diagonal grid in wavy line stitching was super effective.  Matching perfectly with some Marigold minky is Aurifil 50wt. #2314. 
The quilting lines were chalked in yellow in a 3" diagonal grid.  I am always cautious when using chalk since it takes a few washes to get it all out - and the picture above is before any washing.  

I like using a Hera marker (a sharp edged tool that leaves a crease in the fabric) but with a busy quilt like this, the scored lines would be hard to follow. I do use a lot of spray starch before I sew and never iron over any chalk lines, but there is a sigh of relief when all the chalk washes out.
I stick to one color thread for the top, and one that matches the bottom when quilting.  This quilt showed me that a lighter thread in the dark black border looks really nice - and shows even this simple wavy grid to advantage.
I have made so many quilts using Deb Strain fabrics but the bee motif is the most popular with 6 blankets to date. 
 I had enough little left overs and spare Bee Hive Damask in gold from the binding to make a little scrappy quilt on point - that will be No. 7!  
So, that's a wrap for this Bee Joyful quilt - I hope it inspires you to take a stab at making a panel quilt.

Materials:
Bee Joyful by Deb Strain for Moda
Cream Numbers from Lucy's Crab Shack / Sweetwater
Cotton Couture black by Michael Miller
Warm and White batting 
Dimple Dot minky Marigold / Hawthorne Supply Co.
Aurifil 50wt. #2314

Size: 54" x 56.5"
February 2020

5 comments: