Hi, my name is Ruth and this is my blog to show & share my quilts that I give to family & friends.
Simple designs that may inspire you to make one too.

Friday, November 4, 2016

Granny Square Quilt (#58)

This granny square quilt block is reminiscent of the crocheted squares many of us made with yarn. My focus fabric is 3.5" x 3.5" - larger than most tutorials which use a 2" or 2.5" square.  I love this bigger size. 
Each Block: 
13 colored fabric squares 3.5"x 3.5"
12 squares background: 3.5" x 4" (rectangles) 

Sew all squares together except the top and bottom rectangle and iron seams open (top right picture) 
Now center and sew the top and bottom rectangles.

It is easier to finger press the seams from the front before ironing.  So, finger press 3 seams towards the top square and then iron from the front.  Rotate the block and do the same for the remaining 3 seams.  Do not press open these seams.
There are many ways to make this block - most vary in how big to cut the background fabric pieces.  You can cut all squares the same size - or even use half square triangles for the sides -  I tried those methods and while ragged edges will probably get 'trapped' in the 1/4" seam I opted to use more fabric with waste for piece of mind. My background rectangles  are 3.5" x 4" ... 1/2" bigger than my colored fabric. I found this tip on Wombat Quilts.
Each block was trimmed to 13.25". A little awkward but since I didn't have a pattern and need to keep everything within 60" wide - this math worked best. 
Kona white sashing between blocks was cut 2" and the top/bottom and sides sashing cut 2.5".
Everything trimmed nicely after quilting with wavy lines in Aurifil #50wt. white - and of course, beautiful soft minky on the back. 
This is "Teen Quilt No. 3" for my daughter's friends.
Materials:
Feather Flock by Tina Givens
Kona White & Pansy (binding)
Dimple dot minky / vanilla from Fabric.com
Aurifil 50wt. white #2024
Warm & White batting
Size: 60" x 74"
November 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment