Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Hourglass Quilt in Noteworthy (#59)


 
The thing about this Noteworthy quilt from Sweetwater is that the muted pallet looks fabulous in person - but rather washed out in photos.  This is my 4th quilt made with Noteworthy and it's soothing calm appeal is perfect for a variety of age groups and tastes - (the other quilts are linked here).
What I learned after making this 3rd hourglass quilt using the Accuquilt 6.5" HST die (how I did it here) is while my sewing skills are good - even with starch and careful sewing I ended up with ripples in the border from naturally bias stretchy edges. I thought I could overcome this rippled border by being more careful but sadly that's not the case. So, my simple hack, like the last time, was to fold the extra fabric into 3 little pleats each near a seam line - and stitch over them - not perfect but not that bad either.
Lovely white minky, a broken zig zag stitch over the seam lines using my new favorite Aurifil 50wt. thread of Muslin (#2311) and a #14 needle is a win/win.
Lastly, its always fun to use fabric that has such fun scribbles and text.  
This is "Teen Quilt No.4" ready for my dauther's friends.
Materials:
Noteworthy by Sweetwater (from Moda)
Aurifil 50wt. Muslin (#2311)
Dimple dot Minky white
Warm & White batting
Size: 59" x 76"
December 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment