Monday, January 29, 2018

How To Make a Minky Quilt Part 2 - The Table

My minky quilt sandwich is: minky on the back, Warm & White batting and a cotton top. I have used flannel and muslin with minky as well - it just depends on how heavy you want your quilt to be. Since the size of my minky quilts never goes beyond a lap at 60" x 73" - its a good weight for snuggling and washes & dries nicely in large load machines. 

I use to layout all my quilts on the carpet floor in my garage - which is my sewing area.  I made a portable layout table a few months ago and it's great.  Bottom line - whether you assemble on the floor or a table - the sequence is the same.  First ... the table.
The layout table is:  two banquet tables on risers. Standard tables from a super store - 30" x 71".
The bed risers are 5" from Amazon and run about $17.



Up next are 3 pieces of sanded/finished plywood that have been cut to 24" x 82".  They are 1/2" deep.  The panels started out at the hardware store at 8' x 4' and were cut to size.  This means they are pretty narrow to stack and lay against a wall in the garage when not in use.

These 3 plywood pieces go on top of the banquet tables - and are taped together with blue wide painters tape.

You do use quite a bit of painters tape for minky quilt layouts but that's what stops the minky from slipping & sliding!
Cut your batting to the size you need.
 Now would be a good time to shake the minky OUTSIDE to remove any stray fluffy bits - even a few mins in the dryer on low will do to reduce shedding!  

I usually pre-wash minky in cold and dry on low.  I use a lot of Kona white and if the minky color is really saturated - like a bright red or blue - I feel better if it's washed and know any color bleed happens before I quilt.  If the minky is white or cream I will wash only if time allows. Also, it depends on how dusty it arrives - but bottom line - it's fine to pre-wash the minky!
Clear the table and spread out the minky. 
The total table area is 72" x 82" - perfect for a minky quilt that is no more than 60" wide.  60" is the standard width of minky.   
All posts are linked at the top of the blog under 'How To Make a Minky Quilt" or scroll down to read Part 3 - The Layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment