Wednesday, January 24, 2018

How to Make a Minky Quilt - Part 6 - Binding

Everyone has their favorite way to bind a quilt - I am a machine binder all the way.  I also do it 'backwards' from the traditional method.  
Binding is cut 2.5" wide.  Lay your binding strip on the back of the quilt - the minky side.  I use the tutorial from the Fat Quarter Shop here  which includes tips like a  10" tail and a 12" gap for the binding tool (which I also use).
Sew a scant 1/4" seam and use a walking foot.
Because the minky and all the layers are rather bulky - I go slowly with no pins and a hand's width at a time. Adjust the binding to the quilt edge - and continue with another hand's width.
This is what the back of your quilt will look like.
The reason why I sew the binding first on the back:  when I iron to make sure the binding is flat before it's folded over onto the top - the iron only needs to touch the edge of the minky, if at all.  Minky is polyester and will melt under a hot iron, so minimizing the amount of iron contact is a win/win. 
After I have folded the binding to the front - it's ironed a lot! I am now able to put the whole iron on the front of the cotton top.  Getting a nice straight line after pulling the binding over the bulk of the batting and minky is easier.  Any tugging or flattening can be done without risk of melting.
Mitered corners can be tugged into shape if need be and ironed to a nice point.  
This is the binding from the back side.  It looks great but I am happy being able to iron the heck out of the front at the expense of doing things 'backwards' from traditional methods.
Lastly, sew close to the edge on the front and your binding is complete.

All posts are linked at the top of the blog under "How to Make a Minky Quilt" - or scroll down to read the last post - Part 7 - How to wash your quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment