Monday, August 5, 2019

Baby Quilts Aren't Just for Babies

Today is a departure from the details of assembly and instead, share how I am convinced that  "Baby Quilts aren't just for Babies ... they're for everyone!"

Short story is I messed up my neck and back nerves 8 months ago.  I am still in the rehab stage and sewing was off limits for months. This has really shown me how traditional sized quilts may not be in everyone's future, or mine for a while. 
When I could sew for a few minutes a day, I began with the Guinevere Quilt Kit from the Fat Quarter Shop.  The fabric is Enchanted by Gingiber. Lovely big pieces and an easy to follow pattern from It's Sew Emma (Guinevere)
Next came a scrappy Kaleidoscope with pieces cut using an Accuquilt die.  (Go to the sidebar and click on Kaleidoscope for more details).
Lastly, a simple 4 patch made with a Lecien jelly roll and some hand cut 2.5" strips of white Kona.
What used to takes weeks - now took months of slow and go sewing.  I started to see the positive aspects of making smaller quilts, and this will be my trend for the immediate future.  Smaller blankets tick all the boxes for that mental kick of creativity.  Less space is needed for layout, less to clean up, easier to finish and manipulate in the sewing machine.  A perfect way to try out different patterns and techniques even at a slower pace.
Good sizes start at 41" to no more than 45" square.  A nice size to drape over a chair or couch and not end up on the floor.  Big enough to snuggle up with and cover your legs - or chest - obviously they are not going to cover everything unless you are a baby :)  
And ... if you want to experiment using minky as a backing - this is the perfect time. Minky is sold at 60" wide - so 1.5 yards of the soft stuff will cover your project perfectly!
Here are some older smaller quilts that fit into this size category.  I must have been making "Baby Quilts for everyone" and didn't realize it! So, if you don't know a baby -  pick out a favorite adult fabric, find a simple new block and enjoy making yourself a 'Baby Quilt!"

Materials:
Enchanted by Gingiber (Geinevere pattern by It's Sew Emma)
Lecien Retro 30's Child Smile jelly roll
Novelty cottons
White Kona
Warm & White batting
Dimple dot minky: vanilla & midnight blue from Fabric.com
Hawthorne Supply Co. minky: Quartz
Sizes: 41" to 45" square
Date: August 2019

5 comments:

  1. Good way to still be sewing, until your well.They are all very pretty baby quilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree and thank you for the kind words. I stopped by your blog and your quilts are stunning. I can't wait to explore and read more about your quilting journey - it's very inspiring :)

      Delete
  2. So inspiring. I love to sew. I hurt my back in the Army and then a subsequent car accident. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you are now in good health - we often have to re-calibrate ourselves to move forward.

      Delete
  3. I only do smaller quilts, infant size for the Linus Project and for car quilts to cover carseats for the little ones. Crib size for baby gifts and a little larger ones for lap quilts. I have done 3 twin size but they are not my favorite. I find everyone I have gifted a quilt to is pleased. Th smaller size quilts I am able to quilt on my home machine and usually back them with minky. Your quilts are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete