Monday, August 26, 2019

Zipper Pouches

Just when I thought making baby quilts for everyone was the best small project - I found another ... zipper pouches.  For those of us who don't have a sewer in the family or go to classes - zipper pouches look fun but go into the "maybe when I sew better" category.
I found this video from the Fat Quarter Shop and like everything Kimberly does, she makes it look easy - and it is.  The bottom pouch is sewn exactly as she explains.

 The top two are from Lorrie Nunemaker's video here and is called "Continuous Zipper Pouch - Fully Lined".  It's a nice pouch and feels good - but there is a hitch.  You have to put on the zipper pull after you have sewn most of the bag - and it has to be put on evenly.  Sounds easy but after many sweaty palm moments I went back to the traditional method.

I made a knitting bag for my daughter using a fat eighth and found to my delight a wonderful new source - Nicole Reed and her website.  She has an awesome pouch tutorial - 23 minutes long with lots of techniques.  I follow her way of making box corners.  Her video "How to Make a Flat Bottom Makeup Bag" is here.


All these pouches are lined.  I used fusible fleece to add more stability but will try in the future to see how it works with just regular batting scraps. 


This bag is made from a piece of Japanese fabric which is a little thicker and more like a linen - the other pouches are regular cotton scraps from various quilts. 

I will keep my zipper pouch gallery up above in the PAGES section.  I hope these sources guide you to make a zipper pouch. I use the zipper tape by the yard from ByAnnie since I am new at this - but made some pouches with garage sale zippers as testers and they worked out fine.  These were taken by friends before I could take pixs and they weren't half bad!

Lastly - I will make a picture guide with supplies and sizes in the near future. Hope everyone had a good summer as Labor Day approaches. Will finish up the Grand Canal Tutorial in September :)

August 2019

2 comments:

  1. WOW I love all your pouches. Such a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so fun now I have mostly gotten over my anxiety of how to do these zippers. I find the novelty fabric works nicely and can't wait to make more. Contact me at: thefabrichog@gmail.com so I can make & send you one too :)

      Delete