Saturday, December 10, 2016

Cherie Half Square Triangle Quilt (#61)

I feel in love with Cherie when people posted pictures of Frances Newcombe's booth at Quilt Market 2014.  When it came out months later I bought fat quarters for me and a few friends.  Beautiful stuff.
Without having a clear idea of the finished quilt design - I paired up darks & lights, cut them with the Accuquilt 4.5" half square triangle die and sewed large blocks.  And there it all sat for months & months in a plastic box.
I couldn't get a handle on a layout and it became my most loathed project to work on.  Fast forward a year and a half - a little wiser, more articles read, more YouTubes watched and more quilts finished and voila - I came up with this and love it!
I unpicked a lot white Kona sashing, used black grunge fabric as the main accent and to frame the faces.  Black minky with that hot raspberry (Les Points in Rose) as a binding - and a mod Barbie quilt with a French twist was born.
This quilt has been a great lesson on the importance of background fabric- and maybe not always use Kona white or Essex linen. One thing that will never change is using a new #14 needle and Aurifil 50wt. for minky quilting - perfect every time.
The 6th & last teen quilt ready to be gifted before the school break. I couldn't have had more fun!
Materials:
Cherie by Frances Newcombe for Art Gallery
Moda Wintergreen Ebony (black)
Dimple Dot minky black
Warm & White
Aurifil 50wt. Grey Smoke (#5004)
Size: 59" x 74
December 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment