Saturday, February 4, 2017

Grand Canal Granny Square Quilt (#67)

Kate Spain's latest collection called Grand Canal is so beautiful that it was a no brainer to make a quilt out of these 35 fabulous fabrics.
Having made my first Granny Square quilt a month ago I knew that the larger 3.5" squares would highlight the sweet gondola images, Venetian flowers and mosaic motifs.
After starching & cutting fat eighths, I put all the squares in piles with only one goal in mind: make the prettiest granny square I could, one by one.  Although I only needed 20 blocks, I made a total of 25 - that gave me some wiggle room when it came to color balancing the final layout.
Kona white sashing, the ever versatile vanilla minky on the back from Fabric.com, Aurifil 50wt. Muslin (#2311) on the top and Light Sand (#2000) on the bottom - a new #14 needle - well, it's always a perfect fit!
An earlier post HERE gives more instruction & pictures on how you can make this Granny Square quilt

This is my second quilt (and certainly not my last) to be auctioned off at the Immaculate Heart Mother/Daughter Luncheon - my alma mater and soon to be my daughter's in June.  So, from the class of '75 and 2017 - this beautiful Kate Spain patchwork is just for you.

Materials:
Grand Canal by Kate Spain
Warm & White batting
Dimple dot minky - vanilla
Aurifil 50wt. #2311 & #2000
Kona white
Size: 59" x 76.5"
February 2017

1 comment: