Thursday, February 23, 2017

Gypsy Caravan Half Square Triangle Quilt (#72)

Amy Butler's Gypsy Caravan was just being re-printed in 2012 when I started to quilt - how lucky am I.  No matter what quilt block I have used - this eclectic collection never disappoints. 
                Here is how I made the blocks:  
Starch and iron fabric - and cut with the Accuquilt 4.5" finished Half Square Triangle die. For each block you need:  12 HST in white and color - and 4 HST in all color.
Layout your block as shown above.  It helps to have one handy on a wall for reference. To complete the quilt I just made more half square triangles to fill in the edges.
Aurifil 50wt. Muslin (#2311) on the front and variegated French Lilac (#3840) on the back were my secret weapons for quilting - along with lovely Kona white.
I have had quite the hoard of Gypsy Caravan over the years - and grabbed up enough Turkish Paisley in anticipation of having it for a quilt back one day.  
Why it is easier to start a new project than finish old ones - this quilt top was made in 2014.  For no real reason it just sat there while I sewed a ton of other quilts!  I forgot how big I trimmed the squares, how many triangles to cut ... so many details.  

I look forward to the day when my orphan projects are finished and white knuckle it to do only one at a time ... here's hoping anyway :)  

Materials:
Gypsy Caravan by Amy Butler
White Kona
Warm & White batting
Aurifil 50wt. #2311 and 3840
Accuquilt 4.5" finished HST die
Size: 62.5" x 81"
February 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment