Saturday, December 9, 2017

Kaleidoscope Quilt Vintage Style (#90 )

Fabric: Retro 30's Child Smile Fall 2016 / Lecien 
I am not one to plot out detailed designs before sewing which is why simple Kaleidoscope quilts make me happy.  Pieces can be chain sewn without pins or markings and Accuquilt has two dies that make cutting a breeze (see Materials below for specs).  The trick for different looking Kaleidoscope quilts is all in the placement of the focus and background fabrics.  
Here is my Little Ruby quilt that kinda looks like a star. The blog post here has helpful tutorial links and pictures about this style in particular.
Now, this retro Kaleidoscope quilt and the Little Ruby quilt have the same number of large & small triangles.  The only difference is the amount of focus fabric versus background fabric.  That's it - same block with different fabric placement equals a totally new look! 
Here are the two basic blocks. One has 8 focus Isosceles triangles, the other has 4. Notice that BOTH blocks have the same background fabric for the smaller HST's on the corners.
The specs for this Kaleidoscope quilt design are as follows:  
         252 Isosceles triangles (focus fabric)
         84 background Isosceles triangles (light text)
        168 half square triangle pieces 3.5" (light text)

There are a total of 42 squares ... 6 blocks across and 7 rows down. Make (21) 8 focus fabric blocks and (21) of the 4 focus fabric blocks. 
Seams are a scant 1/4" with a small stitch length of 1.5.  Seams are ironed open every step of the way. Blocks trimmed to 10.5".
Minky with batting as the middle layer is perfect for a quilt this size (60" wide x 70" to 76" long).  A larger quilt with batting and minky would be too heavy and hard to machine launder.  For a lighter weight minky quilt though, muslin or flannel instead of batting works nicely too.
Notes: Downloading a blank Kaleidoscope template from the internet and coloring in the triangles would be one way to pre-design your quilt and make it as complicated as you like.  There are lots of great quilts on Pinterest for an overload of inspiration.  

Materials:
Retro 30's Child Smile Fall 2016 / Lecien 
Modern Background Paper #1588 11  Zen Chic / Moda
Accuquilt: Triangle-Isosceles-5"x6" (#55016) & Half Square Triangle-3" (#55009)
Aurifil 50wt. #2311 & #5007
Warm & White batting
Dimple dot minky & Candy Stripe binding both in Azurite from Hawthorne Threads
Size: 61" x 70"
December 2017

7 comments:

  1. I love this Quilt Ruth and I want to try to make it; however I'm very new to quilting. At this point, I don't want to invest in the AccuQuilt system, although it looks fantastic, so what would be the next best way to cut the 5 x 6 Isosceles triangles and the 3 inch half squares? Again I am very new to quilting, so I'll take all the pointers you are willing to share. thank you again Ruth, Janet Wilson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet - I totally agree not to invest in such expensive dies to start. I went through all the links I had previous posted on how to make this block with a cardboard template - sadly they are no long supported. I just bought a Kaleidoscope ruler to make smaller blocks - and there is a larger ruler for sizes: 6" to 16". I have not made it yet - but will in the next few weeks. The product is from Marti Mitchell and here is the link. There are some good YouTube videos that use paper piecing but I am a fan of plastic templates to help me cut. If you want to contact me at: thefabrichog@gmail.com and leave your email - I can help you much better after I have made some sample smaller blocks this 'new way'. Here is the link for the template I purchased. There are videos on how to use it as well which are worth a watch. Until I hear from you - thank, Ruth
      http://www.frommarti.com/kruler.shtml

      Delete
    2. Here is a great place to start. I made one little quilt using this simple paper pieced pattern and then made a larger one using templates I made
      Both turned out great!!
      https://www.quilterscache.com/images43/kaleidoscopetemp.gif

      and this blog is just one of many that are very helpful http://teaginnydesigns.blogspot.com/2011/01/
      Have a look at instagram #kaleidoscopequilts

      Delete
    3. Thanks Rosemary - these are great sources to refer to :)

      Delete
    4. Thank you so much Rosemary.

      Delete
    5. Ruth,
      I have made my kaleidoscope blocks and I am about to start sewing them together. If I were to quilt this myself on my destiny, would it look ok to do a simple stippling one each block? How do you quilt your kaleidoscope quilts?

      Delete
    6. Hi Janet - I only do very simple walking foot quilting following the seam lines and then through all the triangles - much like a star - using a wavy line stitch. There are some close ups of this stitching on the batik quilt. I don't know how to Free Motion but do utilize the wavy stitch most of the time. I think no matter what you feel comfortable with is going to work. Even straight cross hatched lines work. I can't wait to see your quilt.

      Delete