Thursday, August 15, 2019

Grand Canal Scrap Quilt - Overview / Part One

I am pretty much a one block sewer.  I make a lot of the same blocks and off the quilts go to their new owners. I save the scraps and left over pieces for myself with no clear idea of what to make until I have my final pile. (This pile of beautiful Kate Spain Grand Canal started in 2017).Then it's an assessment whether the pieces are further chopped up or if there is enough for a 'scrap quilt' of that particular collection.  
I was a little sad to see these Grand Canal quilts go - but no more!  Out came the Kate Spain plastic bin and viola - I had enough to cobble together my own quilt.

Surprisingly, scrap quilts can take a good deal of thought and effort.  Making sure all the elements harmonize and feel right takes time - but they are fun.  There is no real wrong way to do things!

This quilt has 3 different design elements. 
The first is a large 'granny square' - made with 3.5" squares.
The second is a rustic log cabin that is far from perfect - but the great thing is that no matter how wonky it sews up - you trim it to a set size and it will fit perfectly with your other blocks.
And lastly ... how to take that pile of 'everything else' - and make a simple border that frames all your work.
The next few blog posts will be picture heavy and explain in detail how this quilt was made. My quilt blocks are pretty organic since I do what works and am self taught  (fools rush in where angels fear to tread etc. etc.)  ... so if you are interested in making precise blocks (such as the log cabin), look around on YouTube and see what the professionals have to say.  
 Be back soon with Grand Canal Scrap Quilt / Part Two - Faux Log Cabin.   :)

2 comments:

  1. Love this idea, my daughter gave 2 Tula Pink bundles for christmas and this would be fun and colorful to make. Thank you

    ReplyDelete