Monday, April 12, 2021

Two Retro Drunkard's Path Quilts

Some of my favorite fabrics have been the Japanese quilting cotton from Lecien, which sadly closed in 2020.  Luckily I had enough of their Retro 30's Child Smile 2016 to make two identical quilts for two sweet sisters.  
All the information on how to make these quilts: the AccuQuilt die, the sewing, trimming - as well as the diagram I made to assemble the blocks are HERE in February's post:  Modern Layout of a Drunkard's Path Quilt.
Today's post shows the pretty finished pictures to maybe inspire you to make a smaller Drunkard's Path Quilt using either the AccuQuilt die or any of the other methods available. 
There are many different sizes of plastic templates and lots of tutorials on how to make your own template out of cardboard and how to sew curves.
If you are hesitant to try curves - start with a larger curve and know you can trim down a block smaller to 'erase' edges that come out wonky.  (That's what I do.) 
While I am not buying much fabric and using my saved stash -  I do enjoy picking different color minkys and bindings to match my current projects.   Hawthorne Supply Co.  is my go-to shop as they have a wealth of minky colors and samples that make the whole process a lot of fun!
An added bonus is that Hawthorne Supply Co. has oodles of coordinating designs printed in these very colors to match their minky.  While these little quilts have just a white minky backing -  Hazel likes purple so her binding is Lilac, while Mia likes pink, so her binding is Begonia -- both in the collection called "Candy Stripe."
All quilting was done with a walking foot in a wavy line stitch.  The joining seams are quilted with either a pink or purple color - and white thread for the lines in between.  
I learned something making these quilts.  Usually a universal #14 needle worked out great for most of my minky quilts - but this time I had lots of skipped stitches.  My sewing machine repairman (and many quilt bloggers as well) suggested trying a top stitch needle - it worked out perfectly.

So that's it for April - sewing up pretty fabric, learning about a new needle - and sending these little beauties to their new home 

Materials:
Retro 30's Child Smile 2016 / Lecien
AccuQuilt large Drunkards Path 7" Finished Die (#55034)
Hawthorne Supply Co. - binding in Candy Stripe Begonia & Lilac printed on quilting cotton 56" wide and white minky
Aurifil 50wt. thread #2425 (pink) #2526 (lavender) & #2024 (white)
Warm & White batting
Size: 45.5" x 45.5"
April 2021

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ruth, you have used Lucien in the prettiest possible way! Lucky little girls to be getting such pretty quilts.
    I have the drunkards path plastic template and it is on my list of projects to do. Thanks for sharing such beauties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jocelyn. While I like little squares a lot, a large drunkards path showcases pretty fabric to enjoy - and it sews up quickly! Always here if you want to share your drunkards path journey - Ruth :)

      Delete