Sunday, May 2, 2021

A Finished Star Like Quilt

Making its debut, this Star like quilt is made with just 2 blocks -  a square and half square triangle (HST) both unfinished at 4.5".  The tutorial and diagram on how to assemble the units are in the blog post HERE. 
Simple wavy line quilting with a pale pink thread (Aurifil 50wt. #2415) on the top, and white (#2024) on the bottom.  I put a mark at each seam junction - and sewed on the diagonal to make pretty diamond shapes on the front and back. No need to mark the entire quilt but sew through the center of the squares by eye - easy peasy. 
The fabric is Regent Street Lawns 2016 by Moda, an eclectic mix of strong colors that  surprisingly harmonize when assembled.  The background fabric is Bright White Cotton Couture by Michael Miller.
As I use up my existing stash of fabric, I do treat myself to new stripped binding from Hawthorne Supply Co.  
As I get my minky from there,  its super fun to match up their vast color palette of 'candy stripe' cottons with a current project.  This bold binding is candy stripe in Petunia.  
This is a very beginner friendly quilt which really is more about accurate trimming than anything else.  Tip for this quilt is to use a Topstitch Needle size 90/14 when sewing with minky!

Materials:
Regent Street Lawns 2016 / Moda
Cotton Couture in Bright White / Michael Miller
Aurifil 50wt. #2415 & #2024
Warm & White batting
White minky & Petunia candy stripe binding printed on 56" wide quilting cotton from  Hawthorne Supply Co. 
Size: 53" x 53"
May 2021

3 comments:

  1. Ruth, I just love all of your quilts and this is no exception. Sewing with Minky makes me nervous...but you always have great success. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this quilt is precious, Ruth. I adore it.
    You chose an excellent fabric line. This one is a treasure
    Thank you for sharing. I also like Hawthorne Supply

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the perfect fabric for a more mature 'pink' quilt - making another and the ladies getting these quilts really like the strength of the colors. Glad you like it too.

      Delete