Saturday, May 15, 2021

Quilt as You Go Hexies - In Progress

I am beginning to think that I may not be cut out for hexies - even the large ones. I made some more this week after ignoring my little pile for months.  Threw them all on a table and realized I am not even close to a small quilt ... oh dear!   Anyway, here are some recent pictures and refresher tips.  
The template and tutorial are from the Missouri Star Quilt Co. under Quilt As You Go.  I also have information from an earlier blog post in 2019 HERE.
Of course, cut out your fabric and batting ahead of time.  Trace the inside of the template with a pencil or fabric pen in the shape of the smaller hexie.  Glue a piece of batting in that outline and press with an iron.  Glue a smaller fabric hexie and place it on same sized batting and iron as well.  (see pics below)

** I use a can of fabric basting spray or a fabric glue stick for this part and ALWAYS use the glue on the fabric - not the BATTING.  You don't need much spray baste - just enough to make it tacky in the center before you stick and iron.

Next, put some glue on the back hexie - not right up to the batting, just a little under.  Finger press a seam with a little room between batting - and then fold up again.  Press with a hot iron.
Work your way around the hexie going one direction, ironing at every stage to keep things flat.  When you get to the end - your hexie should look like the picture above.
Fold over that last seam, iron - and then sew on the machine with a stitch length you like (I use a 2.40) all the way around.   Back tac at the beginning and the end, just to make sure everything is tight and not going to come apart.  

The glue I use is Roxanne Glue Baste It (temporary basting glue) with a small metal tip.  Here is blog post from Suzy Quilts that answers any glue questions, including using washable white school glue. 
Final thought - I thought this was going to be my forever quilt - not take me forever!

Materials:
Quailt As You Go Hexagon Template from Missouri Star Quilt Co. 
Amy Butler - everything
Aurifil Thread #50 wt. #2024 white
Warm & White batting scraps
Roxanne Glue Baste Glue & Collins Fabric Glue Stick
May 2021

4 comments:

  1. I loved your "final comment" on your project--it was funny. I did see this template from Missouri Star and gave some serious thought to buying it, but then it went to the back of my brain and stayed there. I must say I do like your hexies--they are colorful. I hope you are able to stick with it and at least make a small quilt. If you get sick of them, just tuck them away for a year and come back to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a delight - I think if I put them away again they will never come out! Maybe some placemats is what I am thinking and calling it a day!

      Delete
  2. It looks like an interesting technique; but still not enough to have me try it! Good luck finishing; they do look very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for nice words Sue. I think this world may be split into those who love hexies - and those of us who maybe like to slice and sew a little faster!

      Delete